Re: 2.6.25: sata_sil freezes, hard resets port.

From: Andrew Henry
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 04:26:24 EST

>>ATA drives are supposed to wake up from standby on command issue and
>>from sleep on reset. Does the drive spin up while sata_sil is trying
>>to reset the port? Also, please post the result of 'hdparm -I
>>/dev/sdX' where sdX is the offending drive.
>>--
>>tejun

Here is the output from hdparm -I /dev/sdb. The output is the same for both drives.

I just want to re-state that it's not just when drives spindown. Happens on hotplug or cold boot also.

As for what happens when I try to access the drives when they have spun down:

- drives are asleep
- i run fdisk -l
- drive on port 1 spins up and LED for that port lights up
- it waits 60s then the LED *should* turn off, but many times, at this point the port will hang: LED is always on
- LED on port 2 lights up, drive spins up, after 60s fdisk reports full output for drives and returns to prompt
- port 1 is still hung. I remove cable and plug it in again, no effect
- fdisk -l makes port 2 LED flash briefly and reports one of the eSATA drives connected. port 1 LED does not flash
- unplug port 1 cable and disconnect power to drive; power drive and connect cable: drive is redetected and fdisk reports 2 drives

it is not always the same port that hangs, it seems random.

/dev/sdb:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: WD My Book
Serial Number: WD-WCASU0206873
Firmware Revision: 01.01B01
Standards:
Used: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 1
Supported: 6 5 4
Configuration:
Logical max current
cylinders 16383 16383
heads 16 16
sectors/track 63 63
--
CHS current addressable sectors: 16514064
LBA user addressable sectors: 268435455
LBA48 user addressable sectors: 976773168
device size with M = 1024*1024: 476940 MBytes
device size with M = 1000*1000: 500107 MBytes (500 GB)
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
Queue depth: 1
Standby timer values: spec'd by Vendor, with device specific minimum
R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 1 Current = 0
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 udma6
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
Enabled Supported:
* SMART feature set
* Power Management feature set