Re: Top kernel oopses/warnings for the week of May 30th 2008

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 18:31:11 EST

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> ok for some it did gather this information, and it is
>
> kernel BUG at mm/highmem.c:319!

That's just _odd_. The call chain actually has kmap() in it, and kmap
does:

if (!PageHighMem(page))
return page_address(page);
return kmap_high(page);

so if it's the one at line 319, which says

BUG_ON(!PageHighMem(page));

then I wonder what happened to that PageHighMem() test of the page in
between..

Ahh.. Not the same "page". It looks like it's in the
flush_all_zero_pkmaps() path, and it's clearing some _other_ page in the
pkmap table in order to make room for the new one. So the page that causes
problems is from here:

page = pte_page(pkmap_page_table[i]);

rather than the one we're trying to map.

Not that it explains the BUG_ON(). We should only insert page table
entries into the pkmap_page_table[] array in map_new_virtual(), which in
turn is only called from kmap_high(), which in turn means that *those*
pages have also gine through the PageHighMem() test.

So it sounds like we either
- have corruption in pkmap_page_table[]
- or pte_page() doesn't reverse mk_pte(page) propely, and one or the
other is broken.

Does anybody know if the fc9 x86-32 kernel is built with PAE enabled?
Might this be another PAE bit-masking bug and thus possibly fixed by the
PTE_MASK changes?

Linus