Re: [rtc-linux] state of GEN_RTC vs rtc subsystem

From: Geoff Levand
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 18:45:58 EST

Alessandro Zummo wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:11:23 -0600
> Kumar Gala <galak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Is the functionality provided by drivers/char/gen_rtc.c completely
>> handled by the rtc subsystem in drivers/rtc?
>>
>> I ask for two reasons:
>> 1. should we make it mutually exclusive in Kconfig
>> 2. I've enabled both and get (we'll my defconfig did):
>
> They shouldn't be enabled at once. I think a patch
> for Kconfig has been recently submitted to give a warning
> in such a case.
>
> rtc-cmos should be able to handle the vast majority of x86
> rtcs out there.

gen_rtc was hooked up to the powerpc platform
ppc_md.set_rtc_time and ppc_md.get_rtc_time via the arch
specific get_rtc_time() and set_rtc_time() routines.

>From what I can tell, those generic rtc routines the powerpc
arch provides are not properly hooked into the new rtc subsystem.
This causes problems for multi-platform builds where some platforms
must use gen_rtc, and some must the new rtc subsytem.

-Geoff