Re: BUG kmalloc-2048: Poison overwritten

From: Justin Mattock
Date: Sun Jun 01 2008 - 23:53:54 EST

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 23:13:51 +0000
> "Justin Mattock" <justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I received this after the second simultaneous suspend: (I will try and
>> see if this is re creatable or not)
>>
>> [ 232.270737] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 6b6b6c6b
>
> bad bad bad
>

>> [ 232.270743] IP: [<c013f96d>] module_put+0x12/0x2b
>> [ 232.270750] *pde = 00000000
>> [ 232.270753] Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP
>> [ 232.270757] Modules linked in: hci_usb cpufreq_ondemand
>> cpufreq_performance cpufreq_powersave rfcomm hidp l2cap bluetooth fan
>> ipmi_watchdog ipmi_msghandler uinput wlan_tkip ieee80211_crypt_tkip
>> ieee80211_crypt arpt_mangle arptable_filter arp_tables
>> nf_conntrack_ipv4 nf_conntrack iptable_mangle iptable_filter ip_tables
>> x_tables intelfb i2c_i810 i2c_algo_bit coretemp eeprom acpi_cpufreq
>> fglrx(P) applesmc joydev uvcvideo appletouch wlan_scan_sta
> ^^^^^
>
> naughty
>
>> ath_rate_sample firewire_ohci firewire_core snd_hda_intel ath_pci
>> snd_pcm wlan ohci1394 intel_agp evdev ath_hal(P) snd_timer ieee1394
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> worse
>

>> Hopefully this is nothing serious,
>> regards;
>
> actually it's very serious, something is scribbling all over your
> memory, it's just a matter of time before that overwrites something
> important on your filesystem, and then you have a high risk of losing
> most of your data.
>
> However, since you're using 2 proprietary kernel modules, you really
> ought to contact the vendors for those modules for support; they're a
> very likely cause for problems
> (for example, these two are the cause for the number 1, 2, 5 and 7 of
> the top 10 kernel oopses/crashes for the last week)
>

> --
> If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> For development, discussion and tips for power savings,
> visit http://www.lesswatts.org

great!!! Well The problem I have with these modules is A) madwifi
"waiting until support is in the kernel for this one, for now I
just have to deal with risking loosing any data". B) graphics driver I
can unload the driver but then loose suspend to mem "argh!!"
aside from that, I just performed the test again of simultaneously
suspending to memory and didn't receive this message, so now I'm at a
lost for words as to what is happening. The positive side is there
isn't any important data on my system i.g. important doc's etc..., but
there
is data with the applications.(alsa,acpid,etc...)
regards;
--
Justin P. Mattock