Re: BUG kmalloc-2048: Poison overwritten

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 00:31:09 EST

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 03:53:43 +0000
"Justin Mattock" <justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Arjan van de Ven
> <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 23:13:51 +0000
> > "Justin Mattock" <justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> I received this after the second simultaneous suspend: (I will try
> >> and see if this is re creatable or not)
> >>
> >> [ 232.270737] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at
> >> 6b6b6c6b
> >
> > bad bad bad
> >

> >> [ 232.270743] IP: [<c013f96d>] module_put+0x12/0x2b
> >> [ 232.270750] *pde = 00000000
> >> [ 232.270753] Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP
> >> [ 232.270757] Modules linked in: hci_usb cpufreq_ondemand
> >> cpufreq_performance cpufreq_powersave rfcomm hidp l2cap bluetooth
> >> fan ipmi_watchdog ipmi_msghandler uinput wlan_tkip
> >> ieee80211_crypt_tkip ieee80211_crypt arpt_mangle arptable_filter
> >> arp_tables nf_conntrack_ipv4 nf_conntrack iptable_mangle
> >> iptable_filter ip_tables x_tables intelfb i2c_i810 i2c_algo_bit
> >> coretemp eeprom acpi_cpufreq fglrx(P) applesmc joydev uvcvideo
> >> appletouch wlan_scan_sta
> > ^^^^^
> >
> > naughty
> >
> >> ath_rate_sample firewire_ohci firewire_core snd_hda_intel ath_pci
> >> snd_pcm wlan ohci1394 intel_agp evdev ath_hal(P) snd_timer ieee1394
> > ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > worse
> >

> >> Hopefully this is nothing serious,
> >> regards;
> >
> > actually it's very serious, something is scribbling all over your
> > memory, it's just a matter of time before that overwrites something
> > important on your filesystem, and then you have a high risk of
> > losing most of your data.
> >
> > However, since you're using 2 proprietary kernel modules, you
> > really ought to contact the vendors for those modules for support;
> > they're a very likely cause for problems
> > (for example, these two are the cause for the number 1, 2, 5 and 7
> > of the top 10 kernel oopses/crashes for the last week)
> >

> great!!! Well The problem I have with these modules is A) madwifi
> "waiting until support is in the kernel for this one,

you mean the ath5k driver which already is in the kernel?
If it doesnt work for you, have you filed a bugzilla ?

> for now I
> just have to deal with risking loosing any data". B) graphics driver I
> can unload the driver but then loose suspend to mem "argh!!"

A current ATI driver in X.org ought to be close to getting this one
right.

> aside from that, I just performed the test again of simultaneously
> suspending to memory and didn't receive this message,

sure the corruption this time wasn't in a redzone.. but maybe elsewhere.

> so now I'm at a
> lost for words as to what is happening. The positive side is there
> isn't any important data on my system i.g. important doc's etc..., but

good luck.

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
visit http://www.lesswatts.org