Re: Future Linux on Bistable Storage

From: david
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 13:02:12 EST

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Rick van Rein wrote:

Hello,

Future generations of Linux are likely to run on machines with non-volatile
memories based on bistable technologies. This will save the energy of DRAM
refresh cycles and avoid the mechanical problems related to hard disks. The
result is probably a computer with no distinction between disk and RAM.

unless there has been a breakthrough that I haven't heard about (always possible) I seriously doubt that this is the case.

the alternate technologies that I have heard about are either _far_ less dense then DRAM (similar to static ram) or require erasing in blocks (similar to flash). niether one is appropriate for a large, flat addressed memory architecture as you list below.

David Lang