Re: Inquiry: Should we remove "isolcpus= kernel boot option? (mayhave realtime uses)

From: Max Krasnyanskiy
Date: Tue Jun 03 2008 - 13:57:40 EST

Dimitri Sivanich wrote:
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 02:59:34PM -0700, Max Krasnyansky wrote:
Yes it used to be somewhat unstable. These days it solid. I'm using it on a
wide range of systems: uTCA Core2Duo, NUMA dual-Opteron, 8way Core2, etc. And
things work as expected.

Max,

I tried the following scenario on an ia64 Altix running 2.6.26-rc4 with
cpusets compiled in but cpuset fs unmounted. Do your patches already address this?
Nope. My patch was a trivial fix for not destroying scheduler domains on hotplug events. The problem you're seeing is different.

I'm not an expert in cpu hotplug internal machinery especially on ia64. Recent kernels (.22 and up) I've tried on x86 and x86-64 have no issues with cpu hotplug. You probably want to submit a bug report (in a separate thread) maybe it's a regression in the latest .26-rc series.

Max