Re: 2.6.25.1, stray noise in dmesg

From: Frans Pop
Date: Fri Jun 06 2008 - 08:56:17 EST

On Thursday 05 June 2008, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 08:50:33PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Friday 02 May 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > I'm seeing these too (hub 5-0):
> > > hub 5-0:1.0: USB hub found
> > > hub 5-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 5
> > > hub 5-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 7
> >
> > Note that in my case this is not with an external hub or anything,
> > but just the internal USB ports of the system.
> >
> > One thing with this message is that because of its "error" status, it
> > also shows when the system is booted with the "quiet" option. Could
> > it be an option to apply the following patch so that at least that is
> > avoided?
>
> I agree, I'll change the message to be this, thanks for the patch.

I'm not sure that it is needed anymore. Looks like for me the messages
have disappeared with -rc5, probably due to 3a31155cfff0935e (Alan Stern,
"USB: EHCI: suppress unwanted error messages").
So it wasn't broken hardware after all :-)

If that solves all or most cases the error was being hit, lowering its
severity is probably not needed.

Cheers,
FJP