Re: Linux 2.6.26-rc4

From: Ian Kent
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 02:44:25 EST

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 08:28 +0200, Jesper Krogh wrote:
> Ian Kent wrote:

> >> It will wait for the expire to complete and then wait for a mount
> >> request to the daemon.
> >
> > Actually, that explanation is a bit simple minded.
> >
> > It should wait for the expire in ->revalidate().
> > Following the expire completion d_invalidate() should return 0, since
> > the dentry is now unhashed, which causes ->revalidate() to return 0.
> > do_lookup() should see this and call a ->lookup().
> >
> > But maybe I've missed something as I'm seeing a problem now.
>
> Ok. Ive been running on the patch for a few days now .. and didn't see
> any problems. But that being said, I also turned off the --ghost option
> to autofs so if it actually is the patch or the different codepaths
> being used, I dont know. Since this is a production system, I'm a bit
> reluctant to just change a working setup to test it out.

No need to change anything.

My comment above relates to difficulties I'm having with patches that
I'm working on that follow this one and the specific question that Al
Viro asked "what happens if new lookup hits between umount and rmdir".

But, clearly we need to know if I (autofs4) caused the specific problem
you reported and if the patch resolves it. And that sounds promising
from what you've seen so far.

Ian