Re: Linux 2.6.25.6

From: Chris Wright
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 16:12:33 EST

* markus reichelt (ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> * Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008, Chris Wright wrote:
> > > We (the -stable team) are announcing the release of the 2.6.25.6
> > > kernel.
> > >
> > > It contains a number of assorted bugfixes all over the tree. Users are
> > > encouraged to update.
> >
> > It also contains at least one security bugfix, as some were quick
> > to point out in not-so-kind words:
> >
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/285438/
>
> I agree that security bugfixes should be pointed out more clearly.

I don't think anybody is disagreeing with that. It's not always
obvious to bug submitters or fixers what the security implications are.
While Brad has a good point, esp. w.r.t. the specific cpufreq bug he
picked out having security implications, it is not true that we are
actively hiding security bugs. Had I realized there was a security
issue, I would highlight it in the announce message. In fact, that's
our standard procedure for -stable.

thanks,
-chris