Re: [2.6 patch] always enable FW_LOADER unless EMBEDDED=y

From: Boaz Harrosh
Date: Wed Jun 11 2008 - 07:42:59 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:20:05PM +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
>> Adrian Bunk wrote:
>>> [1] and before anyone restarts the "kconfig is broken - select should
>>> follow dependencies" FUD: I've seen much talk and zero code for
>>> this, and in my opinion the problem is much more difficult than
>>> it appears at first sight
>> I had this crazy idea, Perhaps it would be easier to reverse the problem.
>> Introduce a kind of Lazy_Enable mode. Which means config is enabled but
>> gets it's use_count bumped up every time someone is dependent on it.
>> At the end, for optimization, any Lazy_Enable with zero count, is dropped.
>> Is that at all possible in current infrastructure?
>> (I admit I never looked at the source)
>
> Wouldn't your "Lazy_Enable" do the same as "select" already does?

No, I mean, for example, ISCSI_TCP will just "depends" on SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS but
SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS is Lazy_Enable. So a user can always choose ISCSI_TCP if he
wants to. At the end if there are no users for SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS it is dropped.

Lazy_Enable is for these modules that say: "I have no purpose of my own
but only serve other needs"

Theoretically it looks like a simpler problem. (Pull vs Push)

>> Boaz
>
> cu
> Adrian

Just my $0.017