Re: CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB_LEAK omits size-4096 and larger?

From: Jeff Layton
Date: Wed Jun 11 2008 - 16:55:48 EST

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:52:22 -0400
"J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm probably missing something fundamental--why doesn't
> /proc/slab_allocators show any results for size-x where x >= 4096?
>
> Someone's seeing a performance problem with the linux nfs server. One
> of the symptoms is the "size-4096" slab cache seems to be out of
> control. I assumed that meant that memory allocated by kmalloc() might
> be leaking, so figured it might be interesting to turn on
> CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB_LEAK. As far as I can tell what that does is list
> kmalloc() callers in /proc/slab_allocators. But that doesn't seem to be
> showing any results for size-4096. Can anyone provide a clue?
> Thanks!
>
> --b.

Hmm...I've never used this, but in kmem_cache_alloc():

/*
* Enable redzoning and last user accounting, except for caches with
* large objects, if the increased size would increase the object size
* above the next power of two: caches with object sizes just above a
* power of two have a significant amount of internal fragmentation.
*/
if (size < 4096 || fls(size - 1) == fls(size-1 + REDZONE_ALIGN +
2 * sizeof(unsigned long long)))
flags |= SLAB_RED_ZONE | SLAB_STORE_USER;

...looks like it specifically excludes some caches.

Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>