ldp/staging/driver-core (Was: Re: linux-next: Tree for June 11)

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Wed Jun 11 2008 - 20:05:40 EST

Hi Greg,

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:55:27 -0700 Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 07:38:40PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Changes since next-20080610:
> >
> > Dropped trees (temporary): ldp (it is unfetchable - probably something to
> > do with the new Staging tree), block (it just has too many conflicts and
> > breaks the powerpc build).
>
> Yes, I've dropped "ldp" from my 'gregkh' set of patches/trees, they
> should be pulled in from the -staging tree, which would be great if you
> could add to the end of the -next tree.

I was under the impression that the stuff in the ldp tree was for
inclusion in 2.6.27. If so, then that tree should still exist (for
inclusion in linux-next) or the drivers that were in the ldp tree should
be included in some other tree(s) that is (are) included in linux-next
(Staging is for stuff that isn't ready yet, right?).

I will try to figure out what I think about Staging today.

> I've also removed some of the larger patches in the driver-core tree
> that were causing you merge/build errors, they should be all resolved
> now.

Thanks, but a better plan (which I hope you and Kay have considered) is
to break up the ones that only depeneded on dev_name and dev_set_name and
send the parts to the appropriate subsystems (since dev_name and
dev_set_name) are both in upstream now).

/me teaches grandma how to suck eggs :-)
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx