Re: linux-next: Tree for June 11

From: Kevin Winchester
Date: Wed Jun 11 2008 - 20:17:52 EST

Stephen Rothwell wrote:
Hi all,

Changes since next-20080610:

Dropped trees (temporary): ldp (it is unfetchable - probably something to
do with the new Staging tree), block (it just has too many conflicts and
breaks the powerpc build).

The kbuild-current tree is now itself again.

The kbuild tree fixed it build problem.

The usb tree lost its hid build problem.

The tip-core tree lost its conflict (since the kbuild tree effectively
moved).

The x86 tree gained two conflicts with the ftrace tree.

The pci tree lost its conflict with the kbuild-current tree but gained
one with the x86 tree and one with the driver-core tree.

The hid tree lost its conflict with the driver-core tree.

The nsfd tree gained a conflict with the cpus4096 tree.

The powerpc tree was fixed up so that it no longer needed a commit
reverted.

The net tree lost its conflict with the net-current tree.

The galak tree gained a conflict with the net tree.

The wireless tree lost all its conflicts.

The rr tree gained a conflict with the net-current tree.

I have applied the following temporary patch for known build problems:

"Fix various 8390 builds" - the net tree broke builds on various
architectures - hopefully this patch will go into the net tree shortly.

The powerpc64 allyesconfig build is broken, probably by ftrace.
The sparc32 defconfig build is broken, probably by the kbuild tree.

I see a problem with this tree (and possibly with ones from previous days - I haven't tested next in 2-3 days or so). I have no direct rendering as reported by glxinfo, whereas with Linus' latest tree I do.

I checked my logs and I see:

PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0000:00:00.0
agpgart: Detected AGP bridge 0
agpgart: Aperture conflicts with PCI mapping.
agpgart: Aperture from AGP @ e0000000 size 128 MB
agpgart: Aperture conflicts with PCI mapping.
agpgart: No usable aperture found.
agpgart: Consider rebooting with iommu=memaper=2 to get a good aperture.

In a working kernel, all I see is:

PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing
agpgart: Detected AGP bridge 0
agpgart: Aperture from AGP @ e0000000 size 128 MB

Does anyone have any idea where I would start to look for the cause? Would it be a PCI problem? An AGP problem? An x86 problem?

If necessary I can bisect, but 12-13 compile-boot cycles will take me a few evenings worth of computer time. A targeted revert or two to try would help.

Thanks,

--
Kevin Winchester