Re: macbook pro dvd playback after suspend Buffer I/O error

From: Justin Mattock
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 03:46:26 EST

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Tejun Heo <htejun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Justin Mattock wrote:
>> Yeah, take you're time. Maybe it's easier to have mplayer or which
>> ever media player wait for the drive. i.g.
>> under OSX, the media player pauses until the drive does it's thing,
>> and then resumes.(but this would be for the suspend aspect)
>> As for the live distro part I'd have to think as well. Let me know
>> what you think.
>
> For apps which know they're accessing cd or dvd (probably using sg
> commands), asking for TUR test after resume could be acceptable but apps
> getting -EIO on read(2) because of intervening suspend/resume cycle is
> just not right. The problem is that readiness waiting can take quite
> some time and under the current architecture, that can make resume take
> much longer or block IOs to other devices on the same port. :-(
>
> --
> tejun
>

>From what I could tell it's the whole start, think, move a little,
then start spinning, then slow down, then finally locate it's place,
that the drive
is doing that's causing the timing to be out of sync, with what's left
in the cache/or memory, I'm wondering if its possible to have the
disk not do the whole cycle that it does once suspend/resume is
activated, just to see.
regards;

--
Justin P. Mattock