Re: ALC883 recording troubles...

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 14:31:31 EST

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ..or it certainly seems that all the inputs claim to have output
>> capability too. Maybe this is what is confusing ALSA?
>
> No.
>
> Basically, the input/output amps mean the amp input to the widget
> and the amp output from the widget, respectively. They don't mean
> that the playback or capture stream direction. So, it's perfectly OK
> if the amp is output for a capture stream.
>
> One exception is the pin widget. In this case, the input amp means
> the amp applied for the input signal from this pin, and the output amp
> means the amp applied before sending to this pin. So, the
> input/output actually corresponds to the stream direction. But, for
> other widgets, the amp I/O is just a difference between before or
> after.

Okay, yes. I now output the nid that is changing too, and you are
correct, it is not the pin widget, but this one:

Node 0x23 [Audio Selector] wcaps 0x30010d: Stereo Amp-Out
Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x0b, nsteps=0x1f, stepsize=0x05, mute=1
Amp-Out vals: [0x03 0x03]
Connection: 7
0x18 0x19 0x1a 0x1c 0x14 0x15 0x12*

I guess I will need to read up on what exactly an audio selector is
before attempting any more debugging.

Thank you for keeping up so far. I'll try to shut up now until I have
something more tangible to report :-)

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it