Re: pnp changes -> suspend oops [Was: 2.6.26-rc5-mm2]

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 17:23:23 EST

On Thursday 12 June 2008 03:10:04 pm Jiri Slaby wrote:
> On 06/11/2008 09:03 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> >> I face problems after some of the pnp changes. If this is not known, I may
> >> bisect it, it's 100% reproducible. I have no real logs, It panics prior to
> >> network is woken up to see something on netconsole, I just captured a function
> >> name and an offset of place where it oopses.
> >>
> >> pnpacpi_encode_resources, ACPI_RESOURCE_TYPE_DMA case, pnp_get_resource(dev,
> >> IORESOURCE_DMA, dma) returns NULL, which is dereferenced at pnpacpi_encode_dma
> >> at p->flags.
> >>
> >> It happens on resume after mem > /sys/power/state.
> >
> > Thanks for the report, I hadn't heard about this.
> >
> > We used to always have a resource from the static table to encode
> > (assuming the table was big enough), even if that resource was
> > disabled or unassigned. But now we don't keep those around, so
> > we can end up with null pointers like you're seeing.
> >
> > Before you go to all the trouble of bisecting it, can you turn on
> > CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG and try the following debug patch? I think this
> > will prevent the oops, but it's just papering over the real problem,
> > so please capture the complete dmesg log.
>
> ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:02.0 disabled
> serial 00:07: disabled
> serial 00:06: disabled
> ACPI handle has no context!
> ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1d.7 disabled
> serial 00:06: no dma resource to encode!
> serial 00:06: activated
> serial 00:07: no dma resource to encode!
> serial 00:07: activated
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:02.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16

Interesting. I wonder why a serial device would have a DMA resource.
We encode resources by following a template from _CRS, so evidently
that template had a DMA resource. Or something deeper is wrong.

Can you send me the rest of that dmesg log?

I take it that with the debug patch, your system is functional
after resume?

Bjorn