Re: Force a usb drive to be /dev/sda?

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Fri Jun 13 2008 - 02:35:50 EST

Shawn Jin wrote:
1. Mount filesystems by UUID or by label.
Doesn't work with some filesystems.

The bootloader I'm using is LILO. So I have to specify the boot device
and the root device in lilo.conf. For example, boot=/dev/sda,
root=/dev/sda1. I'm not sure how mounting filesystem by UUID or by
label can help. A little bit elaboration will be more helpful.

Ah I forgot that... Looks like this requires an initrd too, though without special scripts of your own.

2. Refer to devices by device ID or by device path.
Every USB thumb drive has a unique ID. So will I have to have a
different root filesystem image if it's install in a different usb
drive if the by-id way is adopted?

That's right, hence a filesystem ID is preferable over a drive ID.
--
Stefan Richter