Re: Problem: Out of memory after 2days with 2GB RAM

From: Zdenek Kabelac
Date: Fri Jun 13 2008 - 10:15:30 EST

2008/6/13 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx>:
> On Thursday, 12 of June 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm attaching a trace where my machine has got into big troubles after
>> 2 day usage and several successful suspend/resumes (this seems to be
>> finally getting better now :))
>>
>> It looks like while there was a huge amount of buffers and caches -
>> system was unable to allocate few pages for kmalloc in iwl3945 driver
>> after resume.
>>
>> I've even tried to 3 > drop_cache and reinsert iwl driver - but this
>> had fatal results - machine died completely with blinking caps lock -
>> and no oops in the log for this case:
>>
>> This is the commit aab2545fdd6641b76af0ae96456c4ca9d1e50dad for the
>> 2.6.26-rc5 I've been in this case.
>
> Is this a regression from 2.6.25, BTW?

Well I've never seen this with 2.6.25 kernel - on the other hand
usually I've not been running machine for a longer period of time,
because suspend was failing too often I guess. Now it's more stable so
this bug has shown up.

It might be related to this issue as well http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/22/308

Zdenek