Re: kbuild breaks um - fails to find util when linking

From: Gabriel C
Date: Fri Jun 13 2008 - 19:09:38 EST

Sam Ravnborg wrote:

Hi Sam , Jeff ,

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 04:13:15PM -0400, Jeff Dike wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:08:59PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>>> Following patch will result in a building ARCH=um kernel.
>>> If it works I dunno.
>> You can just try running it. Given its behavior with this patch so
>> far, it would be an excellent sign for it to figure out that it has no
>> root filesystem and panic.
>>
>> Anyway, I can't get it to give me a UML binary. I see this in the
>> build output (and V=3 doesn't make it any more verbose):
>>

>> CHK include/linux/compile.h
>> LINK linux
>>
>> Compilation finished at Thu Jun 12 16:11:15
>>
>> but no linux or vmlinux in my output directory.
>
> So appearantly kbuild thinks you have a vmlinux
> so no need to relink.
> And the line "LINK linux" implies this as well.
>
> Please double check that you do not have a vmlinux,
> and try V=2" to see where LINK picks up the vmlinux.
>
> My build finised:
> $ ./linux
> ./linux: /usr/lib/libc.so.1: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory

I didn't tested this patch but I think LINK-$(CONFIG_LD_SCRIPT_DYN) should have -rpath / -rpath-link too since
libc.so.* is usually in /lib and not /usr/lib.

Another thing I noticed is this hunk :

+$(shell $(CC) -print-file-name=ld-linux.so.2) \

On 64bit that should not work since it is ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 and not ld-linux.so.2

> So I will take an additional look tomorrow.
>
> Sam

Regards ,

Gabriel