Raid auto-assembly on LDM?

From: Jan De Luyck
Date: Sun Jun 15 2008 - 17:09:19 EST

Hello folks,

I'm trying something which is probably slightly crazy, but I can't get it to work.

What I'm trying is to get the linux kernel to auto-assembly my raid-1 sets, which are based on volumes on two LDM disks.

The problem is that the kernel looks for partitiontypes of 0xfd, which I can't set (or haven't found yet how to set) for LDM volumes. The assembly fails, and the kernel panics.

Another possibility would be to use an initrd/initramfs, but then I'm once again stuck with a disk that is not in raid, and ergo a point of failure when the disk might crash.

(The reason to use LDM is that this way I also can put the other OS on the disk in mirror.)

Does anyone have any other ideas? I've searched the web, but noone really seems inclined to do it this way...

Kind regards,

Jan