Re: 2.6.26-git: NULL pointer deref in __switch_to

From: Patrick McHardy
Date: Mon Jun 16 2008 - 06:29:22 EST

Simon Holm Thïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïï wrote:
fre, 13 06 2008 kl. 15:47 -0700, skrev Suresh Siddha:
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:24:01AM -0700, Vegard Nossum wrote:
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I get this oops once a day, its apparently triggered by something
run by cron, but the process is a different one each time.

Kernel is -git from yesterday shortly before the -rc6 release
(last commit is the usb-2.6 merge, the x86 patches are missing),
.config is attached.

I'll retry with current -git, but the patches that have gone in
since I last updated don't look related.

Thanks for the report.

[62060.043009] BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
000001ff
[62060.043009] IP: [<c0102a9b>] __switch_to+0x2f/0x118
[62060.043009] *pde = 00000000
[62060.043009] Oops: 0002 [#1] PREEMPT
Patrick, Do you see any other error messages before this BUG stmt? Can you
please provide the complete kernel log till the point of failure?

Suresh, I'm pretty sure this is the same problem that I reported two
weeks ago [1]. I suggested that you tried running lguest and reproduced
the problem locally, but I did not hear back from you. Now Patrick is
reporting the same problem and is also indicating that the problem is
correlated with his use of lguest, so I'd really like you to follow up
on this.

I have a theory for your problem and have appended a patch to test it. Can
you please check if the appended patch fixes your problem.

At least for me, with this patch applied on top of -rc4 or -rc6+ the
problem still triggered after running an lguest guest for less than 30
seconds (the guest didn't even finish the boot of an image of Ubuntu
with no X-server).

The patch also didn't fix the problem here, I got the same crash this
morning. Unfortunately netconsole didn't log it, but its essentially
the same as the one I posted.