Re: Linux with kvm-intel locks up VMplayer guest is started

From: Anthony Liguori
Date: Mon Jun 16 2008 - 11:22:13 EST

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
When I start a guest in vmplayer, my laptop locks up hard. I found
out that this only happens when the kvm-intel module has been loaded.
When I unload this module, I can start vmware guests just fine.

I see this problem on a HP Compaq 2510p notebook with Intel Core2 Duo
U7600 @ 1.20GHz, but http://laptop006.livejournal.com/41314.html
describes exactly the same problem on a Lenovo T61 (custom build),
Core 2 T7500 on a Santa Rosa. I've seen this with at least 2.6.24 and
2.6.25.

I don't have a serial console, but I started VMplayer and
immediately switched to the console but nothing is displayed
(i.e. no kernel panic; it simply locks up hard).

Any idea if this is a kernel bug, BIOS issue or a bug in VMplayer?

This has been fixed in the latest KVM code base AFAIK.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori