Re: NIU - Sun Neptune 10g - Transmit timed out reset (2.6.24)

From: Jesper Krogh
Date: Mon Jun 16 2008 - 14:22:36 EST

Matheos Worku wrote:
David Miller wrote:

From: Matheos Worku <Matheos.Worku@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:14:29 -0700

Actually what I am suggesting was a workaround for the lack of "TX Ring Empty" interrupt by not relying on the TX interrupt at all.

Ahh I see.

Some of the things I talked about in my presentation here in
Berlin at LinuxTAG yesterday can help mitigate the effects.
Most of it revolves around batching, and allowing the driver
to manage the backlog of packets directly when the TX queue
fills up.

In such a case we could batch the TX queue refill, know how many more
TX packets we will queue up to the chip right now, and therefore know
that we can safely set periodic MARK bits and only need to force set
the MARK bit at the very end.

As for the TX hang, I will try to reproduce the problem and look at
the registers for the clue.
Have been trying but not able to reproduce the timeout. I am using NFS V3 with TCP. Are you using UDP by any chance?

I wouldn't say it is easy either.. I have never got it before getting a
few TB over the "wire". I've got proto=tcp in /proc/mounts for the
mountpoints, so I'd assume that I use TCP.

There is an Extreme Networks switch in the other end, I havent got
hardware to actually test that with a different card, so I cannot rule
the switch out either. .. but it would be strange.

Jesper
--
Jesper