[ANNOUNCE] sched: schedtop utility v0.5

From: Gregory Haskins
Date: Tue Jun 17 2008 - 08:20:27 EST

Gregory Haskins wrote:
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:06 AM, in message <483545B4.BA47.005A.0@xxxxxxxxxx>,
Gregory Haskins wrote:
Hi all scheduler developers,
I had an itch to scratch w.r.t. watching the stats in /proc/schedstats, and it appears that the perl scripts referenced in Documentation/scheduler/sched-stats.txt do not support v14 from HEAD so I whipped up a little utility I call "schedtop".

This utility will process statistics from /proc/schedstat such that the busiest stats will bubble up to the top. It can alternately be sorted by the largest stat, or by name. Stats can be included or excluded based on reg-ex pattern matching.

You can download the tarball here:

ftp://ftp.novell.com/dev/ghaskins/schedtop.tar.gz

I have also posted it to the opensuse build service for generating RPMS for a handful of 32/64-bit x86 distros for your convenience:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ghaskins/

(Note that the build is still in progress for some of the favors, so if you do not see the flavor you are looking for, check back in a little while)

Comments/feedback/bug-fixes welcome!

Regards
-Greg

Hi All,
I have posted an update to schedtop (v0.3) which adds /proc/<pid>/schedstats and /proc/<pid>/sched stats to the mix.

Also note that there is a comprehensive filtering mechanism built into all versions of schedtop:

"-i <REGEX>" sets the *include* pattern, and
"-x <REGEX> sets the *exclude* pattern.

By default, -i is set to allow everything, and -x is set to exclude nothing. A common config for me is to use "-x sched_info" since those sched_info stats seem to always be moving rapidly and can cloud stats that are more interesting (to me, anyway).

Let me know if you have any questions. Comments/feedback are welcome

-Greg

Hi All,
I have released a new version (v0.5) which fixes a compile error on some platforms (like Mandriva, RHEL, and opensuse-factory) that did not like the usage of operator/ in boost::filesystem::path code. v0.5 is now fully supported on all of the original platforms that v0.2 worked on.