Re: AZFS file system proposal

From: JÃrn Engel
Date: Tue Jun 17 2008 - 10:45:51 EST

On Tue, 17 June 2008 16:06:28 +0200, Maxim Shchetynin wrote:

> > My personal question when looking at this is: Why not use ext2? It
>
> Same reason we don't use ext2 for file system in RAM - we don't need any expensive caching and readahead mechanisms for devices which are as fast as main memory (or almost as fast).

Well, with the '-o xip' option I mentioned below, there is no caching or
readahead. The direct_access method you use as well was developed for
ext2. Or rather for xip2fs, another new filesystem. After some review,
that was shot down and a mount option was added to ext2 instead.

> > appears to me that an ext2 mounted with '-o xip' would solve the same
> > problems.

JÃrn

--
Homo Sapiens is a goal, not a description.
-- unknown