KLOGD loops continuously calling 'syslog' system call when prink is disabled

From: Madhu R
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 09:09:22 EST

Hi All,

when I disable printk(CONFIG_PRINTK=n) in the kernel config
(2.6.26-rc6), the klogd loops continuously calling the 'syslog'
system call. It consumes 99% of the cpu time ( using 'top' command ) .
I found similar problem in the kernel mailing list and a patch had
gone into the mainline kernel
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Kernel/2006-11/msg03317.html

In the patch, it returns 'ENOSYS'' while calling 'syslog'
system call if printk is disabled. So the klogd keeps on calling this
'syslog' and returns ENOSYS and this process takes most of the CPU
time.

Please clarify whether I am following correct procedure or
this is DEFAULT behavior of klogd.

Thanks,
madhu.