Re: kerneloops.org: 2.6.26-rc possible regression in ext3

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 11:45:31 EST

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 08:27:48AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:

>>> we already have several of these.
>>> Just look at scripts/gcc-x86_64-has-stack-protector.sh for an example of such a beast.
>>
>> Checking whether gcc supports some flags is easy.
>
> have you actually looked at this script?
> You didn't, since the script doesn't check if gcc supports some flag.
> It checks very specifically for a code generation pattern...
>
> Please go look at the script first before responding.

I did look, but I missed the last pipe...

Do we know for sure this bug can only trigger on 32bit x86?

Or is there anything else I miss in gcc-x86_64-has-stack-protector.sh
that allows to use this approach to check for wrong code generation
caused by platform independent gcc bugs?

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed