Re: [2.6.26-rc4] mount.nfsv4/memory poisoning issues...

From: Chuck Lever
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 13:32:49 EST

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Daniel J Blueman
<daniel.blueman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:10:27 +0100

>>> Firstly, I had omitted that I'd booted the kernel with
>>> debug_objects=1, which provides the canary here.
>>>
>>> The primary failure I see is 'mount.nfs4: internal error', and always
>>> after 358 umount/mount cycles (plus 1 initial mount) which gives us a
>>> clue; 'netstat' shows all these connections in a TIME_WAIT state, thus
>>> the bug relates to the inability to allocate a socket error path. I
>>> found that after the connection lifetime expired, you can mount again,
>>> which corroborates this theory.
>>>
>>> In this case, we saw the mount() syscall result in the mount.nfsv4
>>> process being SEGV'd when booted with 'debug_object=1', without this
>>> option, we see:
>>>
>>> # strace /sbin/mount.nfs4 x1:/ /store
>>> mount("x1:/", "/store", "nfs4", 0,
>>> "addr=192.168.0.250,clientaddr=19"...) = -1 EIO (Input/output error)
>>>
>>> So, it's impossible to tell when the corruption was introduced, as it
>>> has only become detectable recently.
>>>
>>> It's worth a look-over of the socket-allocation error path, if someone
>>> can check, and reproduces 100% with the 'debug_object=1' param,
>>> available since 2.6.26-rc1 and 359 mounts in quick succession.
>>>

>> For some strange reason (probably something I'm doing wrong or maybe
>> something environmental), I've not been able to reproduce this panic on
>> a stock kernel. I did, however, apply the following fault injection
>> patch and was able to reproduce it on the second mount attempt. The 3
>> patch set that I posted last week definitely prevents the oops. If
>> you're able to confirm that it also fixes your panic it would be a
>> helpful data point.
>>
>> The fault injection patch I'm using is attached. It just simulates
>> nfs4_init_client() consistently returning an error.
>
> Thanks! I hope to get time for this tonight and will get back to you;
> I appreciate your help, Jeff.
>
> The config I used to reproduce it on the client is
> http://www.quora.org/config-debug and is relevant to (at least)
> 2.6.26-rc5. I was able to reproduce it by exporting a single NFSv4
> export on 2.6.25 (eg Ubuntu 8.04 server); client and server were
> x86-64.

For the record, I was able to reproduce with a dual core 2.6.26-rc4
x86 client (using SLUB, not SLAB) on Fedora 8 against a Solaris 2008.5
NFSv4 server. When the client runs out of ports, the mount commands
start to fail with EIO. Then after a few dozen of these, the mounting
process hangs. Sometimes it will BUG because freed & poisoned memory
is passed to kthread_stop(). I haven't seen some of the other
subsequent issues that Daniel initially reported.

--
I am certain that these presidents will understand the cry of the
people of Bolivia, of the people of Latin America and the whole world,