Re: [RFC/PATCH] usb-storage: wait for device scanning before mounting root

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 14:54:49 EST

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 08:39:38PM +0200, Stefan Richter wrote:
> The problem is AFAIU not exactly how many Scsi_Host instances (initiator
> port representations, or something remotely related to that) are
> instantiated, but rather _when_ they are instantiated. On multi
> protocol buses or networks like USB and FireWire, it makes sense to
> create the SCSI initiator port representation when we discovered that
> there are actually SCSI targets on the bus or network.

I'm not convinced of that. Why shouldn't we create one scsi host for
all USB scsi devices? I know that today there's a certain amount of
per-device state stored in the scsi_host, but that should be fixable.

> scsi_scan's API is geared towards drivers which create one or more
> initiator port representations right up front before going on target
> discovery, right?

Today, yes. The mail that I just pinged described a way to enhance the
API -- letting you tell scsi "I've started scanning, save me a place in
the queue" and "I've finished scanning, hook me up".

The advantage to this is that you can spend a lot more time waiting for
devices without increasing boot time significantly, since you wait while
the rest of the system initialises.

a retrograde step."