Re: Strange problem with e1000 driver - ping packet loss

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 16:25:29 EST

On 6/19/08, Robert Hancock <hancockr@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I happened to look at a system which was exhibiting poor ping
> > performance with e1000 driver (in 2.6.25) and had some questions regarding
> that.
> >
> > Ping test was done between the system and a laptop, which were connected
> > using a straight ethernet cable. Ping reported round trip times running
> > into seconds (!) and also packet loss.
> >
> > Upon some investigation, I found that the interrupt count field in
> > /proc/interrupts (associated with eth1) is not incrementing as fast as
> > it should. Moreover eth1 interrupt line is shared with the hard disk
> > interrupt (ata_piix) as below:

Just FYI, it seems that more people have the same (?) problem:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0806.2/0499.html

It might be worth joining forces to fight down the bug once and for
all if it's still not fixed after one and a half years? Sorry, I
really meant error instead of bug.

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it