Re: [patch 2/5] Reinstate ZERO_PAGE optimization in get_user_pages()and fix XIP

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jun 23 2008 - 14:37:28 EST

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Jeff Chua wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:27 AM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, if you add a trace to the "use_zero_page()" function to
> > print out the vm_flags and other details, that probably would help.
>
> Let me know if you still want me to test this.

No, it's fine. It really was a bug, and a long-standing one, just one that
was probably practically impossible to hit before (because we used to only
do the FOLL_ANON logic on missing whole page tables, and just about any
access to any mapping even nearby the one you care about will fill in the
page tables - so you would have had to be really unlucky to trigger the
case before).

The patch clearly fixes an issue, and makes the code more readable and
maintainable too, so I don't care what the exact mapping flags etc were.

> Yeh, it works great! Thank you.

Thanks for bisecting, reporting and testing.

Linus