Re: nanosleep() uses CLOCK_MONOTONIC, should be CLOCK_REALTIME?

From: Michael Kerrisk
Date: Tue Jun 24 2008 - 01:08:50 EST

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Bart Van Assche
<bart.vanassche@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Michael Kerrisk
> <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Bart Van Assche
>> <bart.vanassche@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> CLOCK_MONOTONIC works fine even if ntpd steps the clock forward or
>>> backward, CLOCK_REALTIME not. So the man page should be fixed.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply, but I'm not quite convinced yet. The things
>> is: the Solaris man page also says "CLOCK_REALTIME". (Of course that
>> man page may just be parroting the standard.) Could there not be some
>> reasonable semantics for a nanosleep() that was based on
>> CLOCK_REALTIME?
>
> Sorry, but I don't think that a nanosleep() based on CLOCK_REALTIME
> would have reasonable semantics. The first line of the description in
> nanosleep()'s manpage says:
> "nanosleep() delays the execution of the program for at least the
> time specified in *req". So you really need CLOCK_MONOTONIC and not
> CLOCK_REALTIME.

I don't think it's sufficient to quote the man page here ;-). That
sentence is really just an abridged version of the sentence that I
quoted from the spec at the start of this thread:

# But, except for the case of being interrupted by a signal, the
# suspension time shall not be less than the time specified by
# rqtp, as measured by the system clock CLOCK_REALTIME.

I assume that the author of the man page simply neglected to mention
which clock the syscall measures by.

> The reason why CLOCK_REALTIME is mentioned is probably because other
> POSIX man pages define three types of clocks: real, virtual and
> profiiling. See e.g. the getitimer() man page
> (http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/setitimer.html).
> And an overview of all clock types defined by POSIX can be found here:
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/clock_getres.html.

I don't *think* this really provides a rationale for why POSIX talks
of CLOCK_REALTIME rather than CLOCK_MONOTONIC when specifying
nanosleep().

--
Michael Kerrisk
man-pages online: http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online_pages.html