Building a kernel for SiS55-based system.

From: Marian Aldenhövel
Date: Tue Jun 24 2008 - 03:37:46 EST

Hi,

I am trying to build a linux kernel for a small form-factor PC. I have so
far failed to create a working kernel.

Output of /cat/proc/cpuinfo as given by the hardware vendor:

> processor : 0
> vendor_id : SiS SiS SiS
> cpu family : 5
> model : 0
> model name : ff/00
> stepping : 5
> cpu MHz : 200.008
> fdiv_bug : no
> hlt_bug : no
> f00f_bug : no
> coma_bug : no
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 1
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu tsc cx8 mmx
> bogomips : 398.95

I gather that is a SiS 55x System-on-a-chip.

I am using T2[1] as build-system. It (currently) tries to build the kernel
from 2.6.25.7 sources. When booting the kernel it built the system stops
after:

Decompressing Linux... done.
Booting the kernel.

At the bottom of the screen it says:

BUG: Int6: CR2 00000000

And nothing else.

My kernel-configfile can be downloaded from [2]

I am confident that the build-system in itself is sound. I can boot the
system it created on a variety of different systems including QEmu, but
not on the target with the CPU given above. But I have very very little
experience in building system like this from scratch.

I am quite new at this sort of thing, so please be gentle if I forgot the
most vital part of information required to help me. I will gladly provide
anything asked for.

If someone is really extremely keen on helping I can also send out one
of the machines I am trying to get this up and running on and a copy of
the development host-VM I am using.

Ciao, MM

[1] http://www.t2-project.org
[2] http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de/tmp/kconfig_2.6.25.7-dist
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de