Re: strange freeze with VIA C7 dedicated server and libc 2.6.1

From: Stefan Hellermann
Date: Wed Jun 25 2008 - 12:36:32 EST

Am Dienstag, den 24.06.2008, 22:28 +0100 schrieb Alan Cox:
> > * the watchdog says nothing in the logs, but is able to reboot the box.
> >
> > Thank you very much for your answer Alan, I were hesitating on
> > posting a report with no logs, no clues . . . your answer gives me a
> > little hope ;)
>
> Two random thoughts from your last comment
>
> - If you do
>
> echo "2" >/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
> echo "80" >/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio
>
> do you instead get out of memory kills (which would imply bad memory
> leaks perhaps triggered by glibc ?)
>
> - Does your system pass 'crashme' testing (run as a non root user). If
> not then that might give an eventual identification of a crashme run
> which takes out the box. We've found kernel bugs, CPU bugs and
> combinations of the two before now that way.

Hi!

I've got the same problem with a VIA Epia SN-1800, Gentoo and
glibc-2.6.1. First I had crashes every day, but these came from
madwifi-ng. Now with vanilla-2.6.25.6 and no modules it's crashing about
every 3 weeks with no log I can provide. I have a serial console
connected to it, but I have no other device running 24h to collect the
crash.
I tried glibc-2.7, but with this powerdns-resolver isn't working any
more, and I don't think the problems are gone (only one crash so far).
It's not easy to downgrade glibc on gentoo, but I could try
vanilla-glibc-2.5 if this would help.
I have no big crontab, only a script with rotates logs and makewhatis.

Where can I find 'crashme'? Is it a tool I can download?

It's a small home-server carrying my mails and webspace, so I can do a
bit testing, but I don't like large downtime :-)

--
Kind Regards
Stefan Hellermann