Re: [ANNOUNCE] Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Wed Jun 25 2008 - 19:11:35 EST

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 03:45:01PM -0700, jdow wrote:
> [...]

Your statements clearly indicate that you have never worked yet and
are slowly discovering the business world. I would like to return
the challenge to you : show me one software company still in business
and making profit who has not set a few patents on (provably obvious)
methods they rely on. Trade secrets don't work anymore because once
discovered, you're attacked by their patent holder (since everything
is patented in this crappy world).

There are no trade secrets in software, everything is disassemblable
and decompilable. There are no trade secrets in hardware. Chips get
acid-washed, photographed, recomposed and decompiled every day. Trying
to hide a hardware trade secret inside a binary driver is completely
silly and useless.

> Presume that their modules are
> in clean enough shape that making money with a profitable service desk
> is not going to fly.

Releasing source costs less than maintaining and releasing binaries for
every version of every distro.

However, what *does* happen is that some editors don't want to see
their sources released as GPL or BSD and get stolen^Wcleaned up by
someone who pretends to provide a clean rewrite by playing cut'n'paste.
But I don't think it is a real problem in the driver world. Once the
driver gets merged, it's on the rails.

Willy