Re: [usb-storage] Ambiguous dupe in libusual device list

From: Matthew Dharm
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 15:10:32 EST

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 01:32:36PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> In unusual_devs.h, there are these two entries:
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DATAFAB
> /* Submitted by Olaf Hering <olh@xxxxxxx> */
> UNUSUAL_DEV( 0x07c4, 0xa109, 0x0000, 0xffff,

> #ifdef CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR55
> /* SM part - aeb <Andries.Brouwer@xxxxxx> */
> UNUSUAL_DEV( 0x07c4, 0xa109, 0x0000, 0xffff,

> If I'm not mistaken (and because libusual is pretty well abstracted, I
> might be) this is an ambiguous dupe that isn't resolved with any
> checking (IOW, the second entry is likely never used), at least when
> both config options are enabled.

Reading the code, it looks like it's a bit more complex than that.

The first entry enables use of a driver (if it's compiled it) which can
drive both slots on a dual-slot device.

The first entry enables use of a driver (if it's compiled it) which can
only drive one slot on a dual-slot device.

This is really the type of thing which shows that we need some sort of
semi-generic "preference" mechanism for driver binding...

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

M: No, Windows doesn't have any nag screens.
C: Then what are those blue and white screens I get every day?
-- Mike and Cobb
User Friendly, 1/4/1999