Re: LZMA compression algorithm in Kernel - any chance to allow it?

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 22:00:20 EST

Tomas M wrote:
Hello.
I can see the 2.6.25 kernel includes LZO compression algorithm in:

[*] Cryptographic API
< > LZO compression algorithm

As far as I could see, there was a strong pressure against putting compression algorithms in kernel. Does this LZO example mean that kernel people are now more open to include other algorithms as well? I'd like to include LZMA algo, which has far better compression ratio then anything else widely used today, and is already used in many small or embeded systems (as external patches to kernel or userspace utilities)

If I (or anybody else) submit LZMA code for inclusion in kernel, would you ACCEPT IT ?? (assuming the code looks nice to you)

Not if there is nothing that uses it. If you have a place in the kernel that could make good use of such compression, which couldn't easily be handled outside the kernel, and you update it to use it, I would guess it would likely be accepted.