Re: Ctrl+C doesn't interrupt process waiting for I/O

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Sun Jun 29 2008 - 01:14:50 EST

Avi Kivity wrote:

Yes, it's intended behaviour. Filesystem IO syscalls are considered "fast" and are interruptible. Usermode code can reasonably expect that file IO will never return EINTR.

That's filesystem dependent; if you mount an nfs filesystem with the 'intr' mount option, it will be interruptible (which makes sense, as it is impossible to guarantee the server's responsiveness).

'intr' is a pretty bad idea, and I would never recommend it ('soft' is better). It's an excellent way to destroy data when a stray signal causes a syscall to fail with EINTR in an unexpected way (write being the obvious one, but link, unlink, truncate or even close can fail in odd ways can cause havok).

I don't know of any other filesystem with a similarly bad option.