Re: ABI change for device drivers using future AVX instruction set

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Jun 29 2008 - 07:33:51 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
list. I had to actually look into the source code of kernel_fpu_begin to verify that it saves not only the FPU but also the XMM registers and that it disables pre-emption.

The requirement to disable preemption is one reason why XMM in a driver is not a good idea BTW. XMM should be normally only
used when you plan to spend a lot of CPU cycles (otherwise
the cost of saving the state is not amortized by the improvements).

But keeping preemption disabled for a long time is considered
unfriendly because it increases kernel latencies and might in the worst case cause visible scheduling problems like skipping audio
etc.

This is fixable. We could change kernel_fpu_begin() not to disable preemption, but instead set a task flag. When we get the "no device" fault, if the flag is set, save the fpu state into the kernel fpu save area instead of the user fpu save area. Similar logic for restoring the fpu state.

kvm runs with the guest fpu context while in the host kernel, using preempt notifiers to achieve the same thing.