Re: ABI change for device drivers using future AVX instruction set

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Jun 29 2008 - 09:19:11 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
We could change kernel_fpu_begin() not to disable
preemption, but instead set a task flag. When we get the "no device"
fault, if the flag is set, save the fpu state into the kernel fpu save
area
What kernel fpu save area do you mean?
A new one, of course.

With that we would be eventually in the mess Agner talked about.

If you use xsave, I don't see how this is different to the user fpu save area.