Re: linux-next: Tree for June 13: IO APIC breakage on HP nx6325

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Sun Jun 29 2008 - 16:05:05 EST

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> The DSDT can't be updated without the BIOS being updated, and the DMI
> information gives us a BIOS version string that can be matched against
> if a fixed version is ever released. I'd be in favour of doing it with
> DMI on the grounds that it's how we already handle machine-specific
> quirks rather than adding new code to do it.

Is the DMI ID *guaranteed* to be changed with an update to the DSDT?
Anyway, you cannot imply from a given DMI ID a broken DSDT is present, so
you will have to repeat the experience of adding another DMI ID whenever a
user hits this broken DSDT with another piece of hardware. As long as you
are able to pull this piece of information from that user, that is...

Maciej