Re: ABI change for device drivers using future AVX instruction set

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sun Jun 29 2008 - 18:16:28 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
If you use xsave, I don't see how this is different to the user fpu save
area.

For once there's no clear error handling path for allocation failures
on the (arbitarily sized) xsave state. On user code that can be barely
tolerated, but for the kernel it would be deadly.

Well, that's relatively easily dealt with... you'd have to allocate that state save area explicitly in kernel_fpu_begin(), and it would be up to the callers of that function to handle the resulting sleep and/or allocation failure -- we could even make kernel_fpu_begin() take a GFP_* flag.

Now, there are a few possibilities what to do with said state area. One is to make it associated with the task; if used for something as RAID, this would mean pretty soon *all* (or nearly all) tasks have such a state area, and we might as well go back to allocating them preemptively on thread creation. The other, of course, is to destroy it in kernel_fpu_end(). This may cause quite a bit of allocation/deallocation overhead, but perhaps this would be a decent use of a quicklist.

-hpa