Re: Updated Kernel Hacker's guide to git

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Jun 29 2008 - 22:50:44 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Dec 23 2007 06:13, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Another year, another update! :)

The kernel hacker's guide to git has received some updates:

http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html

It says

"""Don't forget to download tags from time to time.

git pull only downloads sha1-indexed object data, and the requested
remote head. This misses updates to the .git/refs/tags/ and
.git/refs/heads/ directories. For tags, run git fetch --tags $URL."""

But when I do git pull on a simple tracking tree (e.g. git-clone
torvalds/linux-2.6.git; git pull;) it automatically grabs new tags.

Unfortunately tags are not copied in all cases. To this day, I still have to 'git fetch --tags', generally when pulling from one local repo into another. It's annoying that tags don't follow objects, when pulled.

Jeff