Help with Hardening Linux

From: Barbara Picci
Date: Mon Jun 30 2008 - 06:37:08 EST

Hi all,

I'm a server administrator (Dell PowerEdge). I usually use Debian.

Before now I used lcap to disable some capabilities (with success with kernel 2.4).

Now I'm configuring some machines with Debian etch and kernel 2.6.25.
I enable with makemenuconfig "Enable different security models" >> "Default Linux Capabilities" and my .config is:

#
# Security options
#
CONFIG_KEYS=y
# CONFIG_KEYS_DEBUG_PROC_KEYS is not set
CONFIG_SECURITY=y
# CONFIG_SECURITY_NETWORK is not set
CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y
# CONFIG_SECURITY_FILE_CAPABILITIES is not set
# CONFIG_SECURITY_ROOTPLUG is not set
CONFIG_SECURITY_DEFAULT_MMAP_MIN_ADDR=0

I try to install lcap_0.0.6-3.1_i386.deb from packages.debian.org but, if I louch lcap, instead of the list of capabilities, I've:

/proc/sys/kernel/cap-bound: No such file or directory

I googled on forums, sites, etc. but I can't find a solution.

Thanks in advance
Barbara Picci