Re: [RFC v1] Tunable sched_mc_power_savings=n

From: David Collier-Brown
Date: Mon Jun 30 2008 - 10:21:26 EST

Vaidyanathan Srinivasan wrote:
I am trying to find answer to the question: Should we have the power
saving tunable as 'nice' value per process or system wide?

How should we interpret the POWER parameter in a datacenter with power
constraint as mentioned in this thread? Or in a simple case of AC vs
battery in a laptop.

I agree with Tim re setting them all independently, and suggest that they're all really per-process values: setting power saving system-wide is meaningful, but so are individual settings.
There is therefor an argument for making them subsets of
a higher-level nice program.

Mind you, the order in which one *implements* the capability,
and whether one does powernice first and adds it to nice later
is your call! I have no idea of how hard what I suggested is (;-))

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest