Re: [RFT] x86 acpi: normalize segment descriptor register on resume

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jul 01 2008 - 03:21:00 EST

* Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The appended patch fixes a regression and is considered as 2.6.26
> material. Everyone having a box with working suspend to RAM is gently
> requested to test it and verify if it doesn't break things.
>
> The patch applies to the current -git.

The fix is _really_ tempting, but i think it's 2.6.26.1 material at the
earliest. I just counted about 8 red flag items in that commit:

- "assembly code"
- "fresh change"
- "suspend/resume"
- "real-mode code"
- "ACPI"
- "SMM"
- "CPU erratas"
- "boot code"

I'd say it's probably 90% fine, but it's just too much risk at this
stage i think. The regression was only found 2 weeks ago, and the commit
that broke it was upstream for 2 months (and was under testing for about
4 months).

[ We have to try to shorten the test cycle for such problems. Hopefully
in v2.6.27 we'll have CONFIG_PM_TEST_SUSPEND=y :-) ]

Ingo