mmap'ed memory in core files ?

From: Philippe De Muyter
Date: Tue Jul 01 2008 - 09:22:07 EST

Hello everybody,

I develop video acquisition software using the video1394 interface.
The images grabbed by the camera and iee1394 bus are kept in kernel
memory and made available to the user program through a mmap call done
in the libdc1394 library :

dma_ring_buffer= mmap(0, vmmap.nb_buffers * vmmap.buf_size,
PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,MAP_SHARED, craw->capture.dma_fd, 0);

Sometimes, my program crashes and produces a core file :) It seems to
me that the core file does not contain the mmap'ed memory and hence
I cannot replay my program with the same image for debugging purpose.

Is it possible to configure the kernel through /proc, or through the mmap
system call to have that mmapped segment in the core file, or do I need
to modify the kernel itself to obtain the behaviour I want ? If I
need to modify the kernel, can some kind soul provide me some pointers ?

Best regards

Philippe