Re: A minimally power-aware driver treats all messages as SUSPEND?

From: Uwe Kleine-König
Date: Tue Jul 01 2008 - 11:14:32 EST

Hello Rafael,

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 of July 2008, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > include/linux/pm.h claims:
> >
> > A minimally power-aware driver treats all messages as SUSPEND
> > [...].
> >
> > This was introduced in commit 82bb67f2 by David Brownell. At this time
> > PM_EVENT_HIBERNATE didn't exist. This was added in 3a2d5b70 by Rafael
> > J. Wysocki without updating the above sentence. I think a minimally
> > power-aware driver should treat all messages as HIBERNATE, shouldn't it?
>
> No, I don't think so. In the majority of cases, SUSPEND is equivalent to the
> combination of FREEZE and HIBERNATE.
I didn't get that. I thought SUSPEND is suspend-to-ram and HIBERNATE is
suspend-to-disk, so HIBERNATE is the "deeper sleep".
With that I might have to do less on SUSPEND because some state might be
preserved after the machine comes up again.

> Still, this is going to change anyway with the introduction of the new
> suspend/hibernation callbacks that are scheduled for 2.6.27.
in next?

Best regards
Uwe

--
Uwe Kleine-König, Software Engineer
Digi International GmbH Branch Breisach, Küferstrasse 8, 79206 Breisach, Germany