Re: Regression: boot failure on AMD Elan TS-5500

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jul 01 2008 - 16:27:31 EST

Sean Young wrote:
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 03:42:47PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
Maybe it really does require the far jump immediately after setting PE in cr0...

Hm, I don't remember this paragraph being in vol 3a, section 8.9.1 before. Is it a recent addition?

Random failures can occur if other instructions exist between steps
3 and 4 above. Failures will be readily seen in some situations,
such as when instructions that reference memory are inserted between
steps 3 and 4 while in system management mode.

I don't remember that, either.

Which document are we talking about?

Intel's Software Developer's Manual, volume 3a.

I'm afraid it doesn't work. Maybe I can find something in the AMD Elan
documentation. Would a fence make sense?

Not really. In particular, I really don't want to add something that is even remotely likely to break on other platforms, and a fence instruction is relatively recent.

-hpa